| These are my cluster mates, everyday for about 6 hours... They are special... |
Time is going by so fast, yet so slow at the same time. I am about to throw up the language. It is like the feeling of stuffing your face so fast with food that the food actually never makes it down to your stomach so you throw it up. I am getting some of the language stuff down to the stomach area of the brain, but there is so much information in a traffic jam pretty much stuck between my eyeballs. I was given the advice to take everything a day at a time and that is exactly what I am trying to do.
Each day there has either been an interesting encounter, a lesson learnt, a big laugh, some GOOD food (or sweets), or just language class(it is VERY rare to have only a 4 hour day of just lesson class….- it has happened once).
Here are a little bit of some memorable moments…
| mom's friend, mom, me, kate, luda, robin, and simon |
| Got meat? |
The day I went on a picnic… My one day off Kate told me that we would be going on a picnic! I was so excited to go do something outside, that didn’t require me to dress up, study Ukrainian, or try to figure out where the heck I was. After watching Titanic in Russian, Kate, me, my host mom and her friend grabbed all the “supplies” for our picnic and we were on our way. When Kate told me picnic, I thought “delicious sandwiches, maybe some cookies, juice, and some fruit!” We walked down the street, past the stadium, and into the trees we went! After about 10 minutes of walking around to find the perfect spot, we set our stuff down. Robin, another PCT, and her host mom met up with us shortly after we got there. My host mom told me to start gathering sticks. I never know what is going on EVER, so this feeling of confusion didn’t surprise me. .. I am going to get straight to the point so you are not reading for days. We went on a picnic, built a fire, and my mom cooked shish cob abs (sp?) over the fire that she built from scratch (ya, no big deal or anything!). This meat was PHENOMENAL!! It tasted kind of like the duck poppers my uncle makes. I don’t know what kind of meat it was because I told my family that it would be best if they not tell me what kind of meat I am eating. Along with our delicious shishcobabbed (I really have no idea how to spell this word) meat, we had some nice greasy sausage, compote (like juice made from fruits sitting in boiled water, I think), pickles, and of course you can’t forget the bread!! I whooped out my hacky sac and Kate, Luda, Robin, Simon and I started playing. Kate sucks at it, but that it ok, she just reminds me more and more of my sister J.
The day I left without a “jacket” … After a Sunday of great “fall” weather and a pleasant picnic, I had a presumption that the next day would be the same! As I was getting ready to walk out the door I was debating whether or not to put on my winter jacket. I decided I would check outside to see what the temperature was—I thought “warm enough, a sweatshirt will suffice!” 2 hours pass after language class where we then started walking to the school to grab some lunch, when I walk outside I found it to be easily 10 degrees colder than it was earlier that morning. Stupid me… I wasn’t “freezing” but I was a little uncomfortable. Once I got home that evening, the first thing my host mom asked me was “did you have a jacket today?”…. that is what I get for living in a small town. I was then told that I can never leave the house without zipping up my jacket so that I don’t get sick. Lesson learnt: don’t leave the house without a winter jacket even if it seems like it will be nice and living in a small town—world travels faster than you can walk.
| Add caption |
The day I felt like a celebrity… Last week we went to the school to see a performance they were putting on for us PCTs. Once we got there, I felt like a celebrity. I walk in the doors only to see many people in traditional Ukrainian outfits greet me along with giving me bread dipped in salt (a Ukrainian tradition). This entire school performance was dedicated to us Americans. It was awesome. Listened to live traditional Ukrainian music, listened to multiple singers, got a brief educational lesson on the school’s history ( I didn’t understand much of it though), and then after all the performances, I got to stand up in front of everyone and introduce myself in Ukrainian. The introduction was the notecard pictured in my previous blog. After the performance, we got interviewed for the Kulykivka newspaper—which made it to the front page apparently (I have no actually seen it).
The day I cooked my first meal in Ukraine… After finding out that my mom does not like to cook, I asked Kate if she would want to make dinner with me. After agreeing, the two of us opened up the Babusia cookbook PC gave us. After trying to figure out what to make, we came to the realization we had no food except potatoes and meat (what kind, I don’t know but it was really bloody looking…) we decided to make Gnochi with a white sauce. It turned out alright for first time cooks, and our mom “loved” it! Kate and I made a good team. I somewhat knew what I was doing, and she was pro at cutting potatoes in her hand. She had finished cutting (peeling) 10 potatoes right as I finished cutting 1. It is scary cutting stuff right in your hands!!!
The day I was “ill”… I have been having some stomach issues the past couple days which have not been horrible, but just a little uncomforting. On top of stomach issues, the weather has not made me feel any better. Plus, I am still not the greatest in terms of “dress”. I always seem to wear the wrong thing on the wrong day, and it is getting really frustrating. When I went into town (Chernihiv), I had 4 layers on. Definitely thought I would be OK. My host mom told me that it was going to snow and it is windy and that I should put more clothes on. After 5 minutes of insisting that I would be fine I embarked on my super journey of “I told you so”. Once we arrived in town, it was cold. I mean COLD! As my cluster group was browsing around in the wonderful Outdoor market, all I was thinking about was how cold I was and I should have listened to my mom (it gets better). After our errands and lunch we headed to the bus stop to catch the bus. Hmmm… funny thing—It never came! After over an hour of standing/sitting in the cold, we decided to take the train back home. I got home and my mom kind of chuckled and did the “I told you so” look. I had 5 minutes to eat before I had to go outside again to walk to the concert that we got to go to for free (that is a story in itself). Once I got home around 9, my sister kept asking me why my eyes were red. I was trying to say that they were my contacts but, my mom and sister SWORE that I was ill. Well, lucky for me, I got to do a cultural activity. My mom put hot boiling water in a bucket along with some delicious fruity smelling bath salts. My sister then went on to explain to me that I will be sticking my feet in the bucket of hot boiling water to get rid of my “illness”. What I did was tap my feet on the water until it finally got used to the temperature. Once after about 5 minutes, my feet hit the bottom of the bucket and I was able to keep them there without screeching from pain of it being too hot. Lucky for me, my mom brought the whole entire tea kettle into the family room so that once I got used to the water, I could add more boiling hot water. Yay me!!! After about 15 minutes total of this, I was told that my feet were gooood and that I could be done. As I said goodnight, Kate sternly told me that I need to keep my feet inside my blankets tonight and pull the covers up all the way. Lesson learnt: seriously listen to the mamma. She always knows best. New Cultural experience: the boiling bucket of water to cure illness activity!
Anyways, to wrap things up, everything is going well with me on this side of the country and each day has been very memorable. I will save the good story for a post of its own.
| Macar loves Rusty!! |
Well….
Until next time,
Я хочу чилі соус з мої картопли будь ласка
Love, Mo
Cool post Mo.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you are having a great adventure.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
D, J, and I send our love.
Take good care of yourself.
Peace!