Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

Valentine's day is a day to be spent with lovers or hot hot sexy men.  Ok, so not necessarily the second part but, I am sure that would be quite the plus!  Every Valentine's day, I spend the day with some people I love and cherish deeply (usually my family...) and this year was just the same.

The kids and I before launching the floating light
The story travels back a couple weeks ago with the floating lantern.... When I was in Kyiv with some friends, I saw floating lights and told myself that I HAD to buy some!   I tell people back home that my life here is like the movie Tangled. So any moment I get to have a Tangled moment, I jump on it. The flowers in the hair, the holiday festivities that sometimes turn into huge dance parties (just like in the movie), the summer greenery and flowers gives it that enchanted feeling, and of course-- the floating lights.  I did not know how much these floating lights cost, but regardless of the price I was already sold on buying them.  So even though I found out they are more expensive than I am budgeted to spend on random things, I bought it anyway and last night made it all worth it.  
I get really stoked about things like lighting a floating lantern in to the sky and it was that much more amazing to see the kids even more stoked than I was.  We all said what we loved about ourselves and then launched this lantern into the sky as a symbol of loving yourself and one another (as a bonus there was no fighting for at least 15 minutes!!!).  We all stood outside in the snowy dark night watching this floating lantern get higher and higher into the sky for about 10 minutes. I am almost positive they now all think that this is a common thing to do in America.


Though my time last night was not spent eating my favorite chocolate and wine, it was spent with some kids that I absolutely love and I am glad to have made this Valentine's Day a night to remember for them.  I love Valentine's Day.  It is a happy day whether you have a lover or not.  As long as you show people some loving it is an awesome feeling.  Every year when my nerdy self had no plans for the holiday, my mom and dad would always make me feel extra special and loved and that is exactly what I tried to do last night for the kids.  They enjoyed the chocolate I got them, but I think they enjoyed being able to go outside after dinner to launch a floating light.  So to all you lovely people out there, keep spreading the love even after the day is over.  And to anyone who plans to spend a Valentine's Day with me, I am almost positive I will be releasing a lantern into the sky every year.  It was that amazing. 



Our light floating with the snow. 

Until Next Time, 
з днем святого валентина 

2 comments:

  1. so adorable. your life is like tangled. what a great idea! i'm sure your kiddos loved it.

    also maybe next year we can spend v-day lighting floating lanterns with hot hot men ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like your Valentines celebration better! No commercialism nor expectations.... you just find the joy wherever you are! That's what I love about you. You can have hot men the other 364 days a year. hahaha!

    As for the floating lanterns every year... you better get it cleared by fire marshall Bill. I'm pretty sure there would be big trouble if someone did that here in the hills of Briones.

    But I have to say... that picture in the night sky with falling snow is precious! The coolest thing I've seen!

    What a fun Peace Corp volunteer you are!! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete